All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.18
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $72.99
- AU $20.46Trending at AU $22.94
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.42
- AU $36.83Trending at AU $37.88
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.28
- AU $14.43Trending at AU $22.77
About this product
- DescriptionAre the political ideals of liberty and equality compatible? This question is of central and continuing importance in political philosophy, moral philosophy, and welfare ecomics. In this book, two distinguished philosophers take up the debate. Jan Narveson argues that a political ideal of negative liberty is incompatible with any substantive ideal of equality, while James P. Sterba argues that Narveson's own ideal of negative liberty is compatible, and in fact leads to the requirements of a substantive ideal of equality. Of course, they cant both be right. Thus, the details of their arguments about the political ideal of negative liberty and its requirements will determine which of them is right. Engagingly and accessibly written, their debate will be of value to all who are interested in the central issue of what are the practical requirements of a political ideal of liberty.
- Author BiographyJan Narveson is Distinguished Professor Emeritus at the University of Waterloo. His previous publications include The Libertarian Idea (1989), Moral Matters, 2nd edition (1999), Respecting Persons in Theory and Practice (2002) and You and the State (2008). In 2003, Professor Narveson was made an Officer of the Order of Canada in recognition of both his scholarly work and his lifelong promotion of music in his home cities of Kitchener and Waterloo, Ontario. James P. Sterba is Professor of Philosophy at the University of Notre Dame. His previous publications include Affirmative Action for the Future (2009), Does Feminism Discriminate Against Men?: A Debate (2008, co-authored with Warren Farrell), The Triumph of Practice over Theory in Ethics (2005) and Terrorism and Justice for Here and Now (1998).
- Author(s)James P. Sterba,Jan Narveson
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication22/04/2010
- Series TitleFor and Against
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Weight590 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.