All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Greek playwright Aristophanes (active 427-386 BCE) is often portrayed as the poet who brought stability, discipline, and sophistication to the rowdy theatrical genre of Old Comedy. In this groundbreaking book, situated within the affective turn in the humanities, Mario Telo explores a vital yet understudied question: how did this view of Aristophanes arise, and why did his popularity eventually eclipse that of his rivals? Telo boldly traces Aristophanes's rise, ironically, to the defeat of his play <i>Clouds </i>at the Great Dionysia of 423 BCE. Close readings of his revised <i>Clouds</i> and other works, such as <i>Wasps</i>, uncover references to the earlier <i>Clouds</i>, presented by Aristophanes as his failed attempt to heal the audience, who are reflected in the plays as a kind of dysfunctional father. In this proto-canical narrative of failure, grounded in the distinctive feelings of different comic modes, Aristophanic comedy becomes cast as a prestigious object, a soft, protective cloak meant to shield viewers from the debilitating effects of competitors' comedies and restore a sense of paternal responsibility and authority. Associations between afflicted fathers and healing sons, between audience and poet, are shown to be at the center of the discourse that has shaped Aristophanes's canical dominance ever since.
- Author Biography<b>Mario Telo</b> is professor of classics at the University of California, Berkeley. He is the author of <i>Eupolidis Demi</i> and coeditor of <i>Greek Comedy and the Discourse of Genres</i>.
- Author(s)Mario Telo
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication27/05/2016
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Weight499 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $41.94Trending at AU $81.93
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.27
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.26
- AU $93.88Trending at AU $107.07
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $104.10
- AU $55.80Trending at AU $56.95
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.28
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.