Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.51Trending at AU $57.15
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $59.06
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
About this product
- DescriptionThis study-referred to as a preface is given this designation because its aim is t to offer an up-to-date overall assessment Dryden's translation of Virgil's Aeneid, but rather to provide a valid basis for such an assessment. In this it seeks to provide a comprehensive analysis of relevant areas (i.e. the conditions of expression ) forming the very basis of the genesis of Dryden's translation, and thus a valid understanding of the poetry (cf. R.A.Brower, Alexander Pope: The Poetry of Allusion [London, 1968], p.98). Part One provides a firsthand picture of the background out of which Dryden's translation came into being-the tradition of Aeneid translation. The evolution of Dryden's theory of translation and his use of textual sources are discussed through a systematic presentation of the various conditions of expression involved as Dryden took upon himself to render Virgil's Aeneid into English poetry. Part Two presents the relevant aspects of Dryden's conception of Virgil and essential features of the Virgilian epic with reference to the assessments of modern classical scholars and Dryden's own conceptions in these matters. Various analogies-historical, political and literary-are drawn between the respective periods in which Virgil and Dryden lived to reflect the basic similarity in conditions of expression out of which Virgil's Aeneid and Dryden's translation came into being.
- Author BiographyArvid Losnes is professor emeritus at Oslo University College.
- Author(s)Arvid Losnes
- PublisherUniversity of Delaware Press
- Date of Publication12/05/2011
- SubjectLiterary Theory
- Place of PublicationCranbury
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Delaware Press
- Weight717 g
- Width162 mm
- Height239 mm
- Spine27 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.