All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAround the World in Eighty Days , published originally as a newspaper serial in 1872 and released as a book the following year, was well received in both formats. Its hero, Phileas Fogg, is a leisured but taciturn Londoner of such mathematically precise habits that he has fired his servant for bringing him shaving water two degrees too cold. Over a game of cards, Fogg wagers twenty thousand pounds that he can travel around the world in eighty days or less. What follows is a headlong adventure full of trains, ships, elephants, and wind sledges, t to mention human sacrifice, duels, and Indian attacks. A successful combination of modern speed and period quaintness, Around the World in Eighty Days has become a steam-driven classic.
- Author BiographyBorn in 1828, Jules Verne dutifully followed the career track of an ordinary bourgeois Frenchman. However literary ambition soon took over and at the age of twenty he began publishing plays and short stories. In 1862 he teamed up with the publisher Pierre-Jules Hetzel and the two men entered into one of the most fruitful relationships in literary history. Verne remains best known for Journey to the Center of the Earth, From the Earth to the Moon, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, and The Mysterious Island. By the end of his life in 1905, Verne had published more than sixty books.
- Author(s)Jules Verne
- PublisherBarnes & Noble Inc
- Date of Publication27/12/2012
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleBarnes & Noble Library of Essential Reading
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBarnes & Noble Inc
- Weight272 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Introduction byJames Hynes
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $69.05Trending at AU $72.43
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $82.56
- AU $11.56Trending at AU $16.20
- AU $14.45Trending at AU $15.32
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.48
- AU $21.57Trending at AU $23.88
- AU $11.47Trending at AU $14.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.