All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.42
- AU $27.81Trending at AU $30.93
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $26.96
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $32.03
- AU $71.17Trending at AU $80.38
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.78
- AU $25.16Trending at AU $27.13
About this product
- DescriptionAwarded an ASCAP Deems Taylor Award in 1983 for excellence in writing about music, this volume of candid conversations with the late Claudio Arrau is both a subtle portrait of one of the world's great concert artists and a vivid exploration of his unique and intensely felt beliefs about music and pia performance.Upon its initial appearance, critical acclaim for this work included rave reviews from The New Yorker ( One of the best books about a performing artist ever written. . . . It's an enthralling, free-flowing, but shapely compound of reminiscences and of observations on music. ), and New York Magazine ( Something of a miracle, a book that actually explores the life and development of a living musician by dealing seriously with important musical issues. Each chapter sets a biographical context for a conversation . . . a fascinating and valuable book. ).In addition to his conversations with Arrau, former New York Times critic Joseph Horowitz has included discussions with four rewned musicians who worked with the celebrated pianist: Philip Lorenz, Daniel Barenboim, Garrick Ohlsson, and Sir Colin Davis. The result is an eminently readable portrait of a great artist, presented in an intimate, conversational format sure to fascinate pianists, musicians, and anyone seriously interested in music and the pia.Joseph Horowitz is also the author of Understanding Toscanini, The Ivory Tread, Wagner Nights: An American History, and The Post-Classical Predicament.
- Author BiographyArtistic consultant, teacher, and author Joseph Horowitz is one of America's most prominent and widely published music writers. A music producer and former Executive Director of the Brooklyn Philharmonic, he has written seven books on classical music.
- PublisherDover Publications Inc.
- Date of Publication01/07/1999
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDover Publications Inc.
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight363 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine127 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.