All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.34Trending at AU $49.62
- AU $73.96Trending at AU $76.83
- AU $22.09Trending at AU $23.10
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $39.18
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.70
- AU $17.66Trending at AU $21.74
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.98
About this product
- DescriptionHow is the look of a film achieved? In <i>Art Direction and Production Design</i>, six outstanding scholars survey the careers of table art directors, the influence of specific design styles, the key roles played by particular studios and films in shaping the field, the effect of techlogical changes on production design, and the shifts in industrial modes of organization. The craft's purpose is to produce an overall pictorial vision for films, and in 1924 a group of designers formed the Cinemagundi Club--their skills encompassed set design, painting, decoration, construction, and budgeting. A few years later, in recognition of their contributions to filmmaking, the first Academy Awards for art direction were given, a clear indication of just how essential the oversight of production design had become to the so-called majors. The original essays presented in <i>Art Direction and Production Design</i> trace the trajectory from Thomas Edison's primitive studio, the Black Maria, to the growth of the Hollywood studio system, to the influence of sound, to a discussion of the auteur theory, and to contemporary Hollywood in which computer-generated imagery has become common. By 2000, the Society of Motion Picture Art Directors became the Art Directors Guild, emphasizing the significance of the contributions of art direction and production design to filmmaking. <i>Art Direction and Production Design</i> is a volume in the Behind the Silver Screen series--other titles in the series include <i>Acting, Animation, Cinematography, Directing, Editing and Special/Visual Effects, Producers, Screenwriting</i>, and <i>Sound</i>.
- Author BiographyLUCY FISCHER is a Distinguished Professor of English and Film Studies at the University of Pittsburgh. She is the author or editor of nine books, including <i>Body Double: The Author Incarnate in the Cinema</i> (Rutgers University Press) and <i>Teaching Film</i>.
- PublisherRutgers University Press
- Date of Publication06/03/2015
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Series TitleBehind the Silver Screen
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRutgers University Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight481 g
- Width154 mm
- Height238 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byReviewer Series Editor Lucy Fischer
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.