CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionThis exceptional new collection comprises 13 new essays on the nature and definability of art. Presenting a wide offering of contemporary philosophical perspectives-including theoretical, historical, cross-cultural, and evolutionary-Art and Essence offers thorough critical discussion on the extensive contemporary philosophical literature on the subject. The work here contrasts the idea of theorizing about why we make and consume art with that of defining it; furthermore, the authors consider the possibility that art has definable essence and discusses differences and connections between art and nature. More historical chapters focus on ancient and medieval approaches to art, while others discuss the work of philosophers such as Hume, Kant, and Nietzsche. Non-Western cultures cultivated their own, distinctive art practices and philosophies, as discussed in chapters on India and Japan, and contemporary philosophers have added their own unique perspectives. The authors are among the leading philosophers on the subjects they cover, making Art and Essence an invaluable tool for scholars of a wide variety of fields.
- Author BiographySTEPHEN DAVIES teaches philosophy at the University of Auckland. He is the author of Definitions of Art, Musical Meaning and Expression, and Musical Works and Performances, and the editor of Art and Its Messages. ANANTA C. SUKLA is Professor of English at Sambalpur University in India. He is the founding editor of The Journal of Comparative Literature and Aesthetics and the editor of the Praeger series Studies in Art, Culture, and Communication.
- Author(s)Ananta Chavana Sukla,Stephen Davies
- Date of Publication30/10/2003
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPraeger Publishers Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight546 g
- Width156 mm
- Height242 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.