Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $19.99+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is the definitive overview of the richest, most controversial and perhaps most thoroughly confusing epoch in the whole history of the visual arts: the period from 1960 to the present. Although the modern movement - unchallenged for the last six decades - has lost its dominance, it has been replaced by single new orthodoxy. Artists, critics and the public alike are w confronted by a situation of unprecedented variety and complexity. Edward Lucie-Smith is a close and well-informed watcher of the contemporary scene, combining a critical eye with a historian's insight into wider trends. Art Today reflects the dramatic changes that have swept across the art world since 1960 to challenge all the old assumptions and certainties. As he reviews the worldwide explosion of exciting new work, he illustrates with erudition and clarity that the art world is longer hierarchical but plural, and that its structures, if they exist at all, are merely transient. Art Today provides a map of an unstable world. With unfailing passion and acute aesthetic sensitivity, the author charts the progress of contemporary developments to elucidate their sources and interrelationships, many of them breathtakingly unexpected. This volume embodies a magnum opus in itself, as it brings to life the work of over 500 outstanding contemporary artists, all analysed in detail and illustrated in stunning colour. Since its first publication in 1995, Art Today has become internationally recognized as an indispensable introduction to contemporary art. A principal reason for its success has been the author's ability to write without polemics, and to avoid impenetrable abstract theory and jargon. For students and anybody else confronting contemporary art for the first time, this is the ideal introduction. Well-organized, informative, authoritative and thought-provoking, it is the sole book available that provides both a clear and a comprehensive guide to the subject. It is w published in paperback format at an outstandingly competitive price.
- Author BiographyEdward Lucie-Smith is well known as a poet, critic, broadcaster and writer on art and culture. His many books include Movements in Art since 1945, Race, Sex and Gender in Contemporary Art,American Realism and Art Deco Painting, also published by Phaidon.
- Author(s)Edward Lucie-Smith
- PublisherPhaidon Press Ltd
- Date of Publication26/08/1999
- SubjectThe Arts: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPhaidon Press Ltd
- Content Note536 colour illustrations, notes, biographies, bibliography, chronology, index
- Weight3016 g
- Width250 mm
- Height290 mm
- Spine40 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.83
- AU $44.48Trending at AU $52.90
- AU $34.29Trending at AU $38.68
- AU $26.78Trending at AU $29.35
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.87
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.21
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.