All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this book Thomas McEvilley proposes a new vision for the critical enterprise while confronting ideas which have exalted art above constructive involvement with the world for two centuries. The persistence of the Romantic idea of Self is discovered at the heart of Modernism, along with ideas of Spirit secretly enshrined in the distinction between abstraction and representation. Shedding new light on the roots of Modernism, the collapse of the idea of history, and the subsequent development of a global discourse, McEvilley brings to Art & Discontent a commanding kwledge of ancient Greek and Egyptian art, Western and n-Western philosophies, and the most avant garde of contemporary art. Explaining why our Modernism was t unique and is being superseded, he suggests the functions that art can perform in a post-Modern culture.
- Author(s)Thomas McEvilley
- PublisherMcPherson & Co Publishers,U.S.
- Date of Publication12/03/1998
- SubjectThe Arts: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcPherson & Co Publishers,U.S.
- Weight224 g
- Width140 mm
- Height220 mm
- Spine13 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $72.93
- AU $23.60Trending at AU $29.65
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $38.02
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $47.93
- AU $30.86Trending at AU $32.07
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $32.73
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.