All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe bicyclist is under attack from all directions - the streets are ragged, the air is poison, and the drivers are angry. As if that weren't eugh, the American cyclist must carry the weight of history along on every ride. After a brief heyday at the turn of the twentieth century, American cyclists fell out of the social consciousness, becoming an afterthought when our cities were planned and built. Cyclists today are left to navigate through a hard and unsympathetic world that was t made for them. Yet, with the proper attitude and a bit of kwledge, cyclists can thrive in this hostile environment.Covering much more than just riding a bike in traffic, author Robert Hurst paints, in uncanny detail, the challenges, strategies, and art of riding a bike on America's modern streets and roadways. The Art of Cycling dismantles the bicycling experience and slides it under the microscope, piece by piece. Its primary concern is safety, but this book goes well beyond the usual tips and how-to, diving in to the realms of history, psychology, sociology, and ecomics.
- Author BiographyRobert Hurst is a veteran bicycle messenger and all-around cyclist who has cycled more than 150,000 miles and 15,000 hours in heavy traffic. In this time, he has completed something like 80,000 deliveried. He is a native Coloradan who is just happy to be in one piece after working for more than ten years as a professional bike messenger in Denver. He celebrates his continued survival by spending time in the mountains, and by riding the world's most excellent trails. Mr. Hurst is also the author of Mountain Biking Colorado's San Juan Mountains and Road Biking Colorado's Front Range (FalconGuides).
- Author(s)Robert Hurst
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield
- Date of Publication01/07/2014
- SubjectMotor Sports & Cycling
- Place of PublicationOld Saybrook
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGlobe Pequot Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, colour illustrations
- Weight37 g
- Width190 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Foreword byMarla Streb
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $20.46Trending at AU $26.08
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $20.02Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.