All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionArtemisia Gentileschi was an Italian Baroque painter, considered one of the most accomplished painters in the generation following that of Caravaggio. In an era when women painters were t easily accepted by the artistic community or patrons, she was the first woman to become a member of the Accademia di Arte del Diseg in Florence. She painted many pictures of strong and suffering women from myth and the Bible - victims, suicides, warriors - and made it her specialty to paint the Judith story. Her best-kwn work is Judith Slaying Holofermes (a well-kwn medieval and baroque subject in art), which shows the decapitation of Holofernes, a scene of horrific struggle and blood-letting. That she was a woman painting in the seventeenth century and that she was raped and participated in prosecuting the rapist, long overshadowed her achievements as an artist. For many years she was regarded as a curiosity. Nowadays she is regarded as one of the most talented and expressionist painters of her generation.
- Author(s)Blago Kirov,Maria Tsaneva
- Date of Publication15/12/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight91 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine4 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Save on Textbooks
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $38.34
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $59.37
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.71
- AU $30.26Trending at AU $32.66
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $11.31Trending at AU $14.92
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.