All listings for this product
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $72.32
- AU $23.60Trending at AU $29.40
- AU $32.92Trending at AU $36.29
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $47.53
- AU $30.86Trending at AU $31.80
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $32.46
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $21.89
About this product
- DescriptionDrawn from the remarkable Alkazi Collection of Photography, this book traces the arrival, dissemination and development of photography in Bombay between the mid-19th and early-20th century. Photography arrived in Mumbai as early as 1840, via trade, as well as through European explorers and government officials, and the city quickly grew to be one of the largest centres of photography's patronage and dissemination in India. The British recorded and documented the various castes and tribes of India, using the medium of photography. This gradually led to the experimentation with portraiture and performance in numerous studios. This book uses enduring images of families, events and landscapes to examine the work of the early Indian photographers Shapoor Bhedwar, Dr Narayan Daji and S Hormusji, and independent firms such as Bourne & Shepherd, to highlight the trends that dominated the early years of photography in India.
- Author BiographyRahaab Allana is Curator of the Alkazi Foundation for the Arts in New Delhi. He completed his MA in Art History from the School of Oriental and African Studies, London, in 2001. He has worked as Assistant Curator at the National Gallery of Modern Art in New Delhi, and is the author of Inherited Spaces Inhabited Places (2005), a volume on World Heritage Sites, published by the Ministry of External Affairs, New Delhi. Pramod Kumar K G is Associate Director at the Alkazi Foundation for the Arts in New Delhi. Founder Director of the Anokhi Museum of Hand Printing at Jaipur, he was Director of the Jaipur Virasat Foundation in 2005-06, and of the Jaipur Heritage International Festival and the first Jaipur Literature Festival in 2006.
- Author(s)Rahaab Allana
- PublisherGrantha Corporation
- Date of Publication05/05/2011
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGrantha Corporation
- Content Note57 sepia photos
- Weight562 g
- Width244 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.