Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.86
- AU $70.86Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.41
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
About this product
- DescriptionArthur Kinnaird was football's first superstar. Described as 'without exception, the best player of the day', he played in nine FA Cup Finals (a record to this day), selected Scotland's first international team, and was President of the Football Association for 33 years. He was such a dominant figure that he was presented with the FA Cup in gratitude. His extraordinary life is revealed for the first time by sports historian Andy Mitchell, who has researched t just Kinnaird's crucial contribution to the formative years of football but a great deal more: he was an outstanding sportsman, a tennis blue, swimming champion, track athlete, caeist, and even played competitive cricket in his fifties. He was a high profile figure in late Victorian society, energetic and enlightened, kwn as 'the busiest man in London'. A fervent evangelical, he spent his nights in the slums, teaching destitute children to read and write, and devoted much of his banking fortune to charities and religious missions. This book is essential reading for anyone who wants to understand the early development of Britain's most popular sport, and how one man led football from parkland pastime to national obsession.
- Author BiographyAndy Mitchell, born 1958 in Edinburgh, is passionate about football and has written extensively on the sport. He has witnessed plenty of football history in the making: as head of communications at the Scottish Football Association, he travelled with the Scotland team from the Faroes to the Far East, and now works as a media officer for UEFA. His only footballing relative scored England's first ever goal - against Scotland.
- Author(s)MR Andy Mitchell
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication04/08/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: Sport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight286 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.