Best-selling in Audio Books
Save on Audio Books
- AU $28.19Trending at AU $29.69
- AU $25.20Trending at AU $36.56
- AU $44.16Trending at AU $49.40
- AU $44.90Trending at AU $48.25
- AU $18.09Trending at AU $23.15
- AU $35.89Trending at AU $36.95
- AU $42.29Trending at AU $45.99
About this product
- DescriptionIt first surfaced in the gripes of GIs during World War II and was captured early on by the typewriter of a young Norman Mailer. Within a generation it had become a basic tion of our everyday moral life, replacing older reproaches like lout and heel with a single inclusive category-a staple of country outlaw songs, Neil Simon plays, and Woody Allen movies. Feminists made it their stock rebuke for male insensitivity, the est movement used it for those who didn't get it, and Dirty Harry applied it evenhandedly to both his officious superiors and the punks he manhandled.The asshole has become a focus of collective fascination for us, just as the phony was for Holden Caulfield and the cad was for Anthony Trollope. From Donald Trump to Ann Coulter, from Mel Gibson to Anthony Weiner, from the reality TV prima donnas to the internet trolls and flamers, assholism has become the characteristic form of modern incivility, which implicitly expresses our deepest values about class, relationships, authenticity, and fairness. We have conflicting attitudes about the A-word-when a presidential candidate unwittingly uttered it on a live mic in 2000, it confirmed to some that he was a man of the people and to others that he was a boor. But considering how much the word does for us, and to us, it hasn't gotten nearly the attention it deserves-at least until w.
- Author BiographyRenowned linguist Geoffrey Nunberg is the author of several nonfiction works, including The Years of Talking Dangerously, Going Nucla r, and Talking Right. Kate Udall is an actor in New York City and an audiobook narrator. Her audiobooks include titles in Allison Brennan's Lucy Kincaid series.Francis J. Spieler has been a journalist, essayist-critic, and literary agent, and is now an actor and narrator.
- Author(s)Geoffrey Nunberg
- PublisherTantor Media, Inc
- Date of Publication20/12/2012
- Place of PublicationOld Saybrook, CT
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTantor Media, Inc
- Out-of-print date07/01/2017
- Weight79 g
- Width163 mm
- Height137 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Narrator(s)Kate Udall,Francis J. Spieler
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Running Time420
- Edition StatementUnabridged
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.