All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $13.90Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.18
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.24
- AU $23.32Trending at AU $32.85
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $79.99
- AU $50.05Trending at AU $66.59
About this product
- DescriptionPraised for its scope and depth, Asia in the Making of Europe is the first comprehensive study of Asian influences on Western culture. For volumes I and II, the author has sifted through virtually every European reference to Asia published in the sixteenth-century; he surveys a vast array of writings describing Asian life and society, the images of Asia that emerge from those writings, and, in turn, the reflections of those images in European literature and art. This monumental achievement reveals profound and pervasive influences of Asian societies on developing Western culture; in doing so, it provides a perspective necessary for a balanced view of world history. Volume I: The Century of Discovery brings together everything that a European could kw of India, Southeast Asia, China, and Japan, from printed books, missionary reports, traders' accounts and maps ( The New York Review of Books ). Volume II: A Century of Wonder examines the influence of that vast new body of information about Asia on the arts, institutions, literatures, and ideas of sixteenth-century Europe.
- Author BiographyDonald F. Lach is the Bernadotte E. Schmitt Professor Emeritus in modern history at the University of Chicago.
- Author(s)Donald F. Lach
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication01/01/1994
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Content Note23 halftones
- Weight584 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.