All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $70.84
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.70
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.14
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $87.71
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.72
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $35.87
- AU $28.96Trending at AU $38.89
About this product
- DescriptionAs a distinct area of literary study, Asian American literature w enjoys a level of critical recognition that was unimaginable when academic interest in the field began modestly some 25 years ago. Part of this recognition stems from the increasing contributions of Asian American velists, whose works continue to capture growing levels of popular attention. By the early 1970s, anthologies of creative writing by Asian Americans began to appear, and there are w almost two dozen of them. Since then, numerous Asian American writers, such as Amy Tan, Michael Ondaatje, and Bharati Mukherjee, have gained considerable critical and commercial success. The publication of this reference work reflects the new academic status of Asian American literature. Included are alphabetically arranged entries for 70 Asian American velists. Since the historical and current experiences of Asians in Canada and the United States are substantially similar, the volume covers authors from both countries. While the majority of the writers profiled in the volume have East Asian backgrounds, some have South Asian or West Asian origins. Each entry is written by an expert contributor and provides a short biography, a discussion of major works and themes, a summary of the velist's critical reception, and separate bibliographies of primary and secondary sources. The volume concludes with a selected, general bibliography.
- Author BiographyEMMANUEL S. NELSON is Professor of English at the State University of New York College at Cortland. He is the author of more than 30 articles, and his previous books include Contemporary African American Novelists: A Bio-Bibliographical Critical Sourcebook (1999), Contemporary Gay American Novelists: A Bio-Bibliographical Critical Sourcebook (1993), Writers of the Indian Diaspora: A Bio-Bibliographical Critical Sourcebook (1993), and Reworlding: The Literature of the Indian Diaspora (1992), all available from Greenwood Press.
- Date of Publication28/02/2000
- SubjectBiography: Literary
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight806 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edited byEmmanuel S. Nelson
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.