All listings for this product
Best-selling in Cook Books
Save on Cook Books
- AU $26.42Trending at AU $27.01
- AU $32.26Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $23.04Trending at AU $36.25
- AU $23.03Trending at AU $36.63
- AU $29.95Trending at AU $33.58
- AU $23.48Trending at AU $29.26
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $33.74
About this product
- DescriptionIt is hard to believe there was a time when you could t go out for Chinese food in Minnesota, but there was until brothers and entrepreneurs Woo Yee Sing and Woo Du Sing opened their Canton restaurant (later called John's place) in Minneapolis in 1883. Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Indian, and Cambodian immigrants have left an indelible and flavourful mark on our collective culinary history. Many cooks sought t only to make a living but also to preserve the memory of their homeland through the dishes set before family and patrons alike, to the great benefit of diners from the metro area to Duluth to the Red River valley. The book includes interviews with pioneering chefs, features on beloved restaurants, stories of farmers and food businesses, and, of course, more than 150 treasured recipes that have urished and inspired Minnesotans. Try Dar Cheen chicken from Wing Ying Huie's Chinese Lantern in Duluth, or Supenn Harrison's egg rolls made famous at her state fair booth beginning in 1976, or Reiko Weston's sukiyaki from the original Fuji Ya in Minneapolis. Let Asian food experts Phyllis Louise Harris and Raghavan Iyer take you on a tour through this comprehensive history, lavishly illustrated with historical and contemporary photography, from the Philippines to south Korea to Nepal, from the 1870s through today. Includes 160 recipes.
- Author BiographyPhyllis Louise Harris teaches asian cooking and was food editor of Asian Pages for two decades. Raghavan Iyer is author of Betty Crockers Indian Home Cooking, The Turmeric Trail, and 660 Curries. they are Cofounders of Asian culinary arts institutes in Minneapolis.
- Author(s)Phyllis Louise Harris,Raghavan Iyer
- PublisherMinnesota Historical Society Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication12/11/2012
- SubjectNational & Regional Cuisine
- Place of PublicationSt Paul
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMinnesota Historical Society Press,U.S.
- Content Note105 colour & b/w illus
- Weight1420 g
- Width230 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.