All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis thoroughly researched volume surveys the nature and extent of 'informal' work in Asia, which is a powerful and under-studied force in the region. After over half a century of development, even in the fast growing ecomies of Asia, the formal sector, and industrial jobs have grown rather slowly, and most n-agricultural employment growth has occurred in the informal ecomy. At the same time as this, there has been a feminization of informal workers and growth in subcontracted homework. Drawing on detailed case studies carried out in five Asian countries - two low income (India and Pakistan) and three middle income (Indonesia, Thailand and the Philippines) - where subcontracted production, usually by women and children working out of home, is w widespread, this insightful book ackwledges that home-based work is the source of income diversification for poor families, but is also the source of exploitation of vulnerable workers and child labour as firms attempt to contain costs. This wide-ranging and accessible survey, edited by key specialists in this field, along with an impressive team of contributors, examines the social protection needs of these workers arguing convincingly for public action to promote such work and protect these workers as a possible new labour intensive growth strategy in developing countries.
- Author BiographySantosh Mehrotra is a senior policy advisor for the United Nations Development Program based in Bangkok, Thailand. His books include Development With a Human Face (edited with R. Jolly, 1997); Eliminating Human Poverty: Macro economic Policies for Equitable Growth; and The Economics of Elementary Education in India. Mario Biggeri is senior lecturer in development economics at the University of Florence, Italy. His research interests include economies of transition, international aid, clusters and informal activities, rural development, and child labour and child's capabilities, and he has published widely in these areas.
- Author(s)Mario Biggeri,Santosh K. Mehrotra
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication03/04/2009
- SubjectBusiness, Accounting & Vocational: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Content Note27 black & white illustrations, 126 black & white tables, 27 black & white line drawings
- Weight720 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine26 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.11
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $75.70
- AU $31.43Trending at AU $36.86
- AU $30.95Trending at AU $34.21
- AU $26.99Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.28
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.64
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.