All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.25
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.14
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.18
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.33
- AU $49.82Trending at AU $55.57
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $104.32
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.30
About this product
- DescriptionAsses, asses, and more asses! This new edition of Plautus' rumbustious comedy provides the complete original Latin text, witty scholarly commentary, and an English translation that both complements and explicates Plautus' original style. John Henderson reveals this play as a key to Roman social relations centered on many kinds of slavery: to sex, money, and family structure; to masculinity and social standing; to senility and partying; and to jokes, lies, and idiocy. The translation remains faithful to Plautus' syllabic style for reading aloud, as well as to his humorous colloquialisms and wordplay, providing readers with a comfortable affinity to Plautus himself. An indispensable teaching and learning tool for the study of Roman New Comedy , this edition includes comprehensive commentary, useful indexes, and a pronunciation guide that will help readers of all levels understand and appreciate Plautus and his era.
- Author BiographyJohn Henderson is Professor of Classics at the University of Cambridge, King's College. He is the author of many books on Latin literature and Roman culture, including Fighting for Rome and Writing Down Rome.
- Author(s)Titus Maccius Plautus
- PublisherUniversity of Wisconsin Press
- Date of Publication15/12/2006
- LanguageEnglish & Latin
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleWisconsin Studies in Classics
- Place of PublicationWisconsin
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Wisconsin Press
- Weight390 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Translated byJohn Henderson
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.