Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.25
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.14
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.18
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.33
- AU $49.79Trending at AU $51.77
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $104.32
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.30
About this product
- DescriptionIn Assignments across the Curriculum, Dan Melzer analyzes the rhetorical features and genres of writing assignments through the writing-to-learn and writing-in-the-disciplines perspectives. Presenting the results of his study of 2,101 writing assignments from undergraduate courses in the natural sciences, social sciences, business, and humanities in 100 postsecondary institutions in the United States, Assignments across the Curriculum is unique in its cross-institutional breadth and its focus on writing assignments. The results provide a paramic view of college writing in the United States. Melzer's framework begins with the rhetorical situations of the assignments-the purposes and audiences-and broadens to include the assignments' genres and discourse community contexts. Among his conclusions is that courses connected to a writing-across-the-curriculum (WAC) initiative ask students to write more often, in a greater variety of genres, and for a greater variety of purposes and audiences than n-WAC courses do, making a compelling case for the influence of the WAC movement. Melzer's work also reveals patterns in the rhetorical situations, genres, and discourse communities of college writing in the United States. These larger patterns are of interest to WAC practitioners working with faculty across disciplines, to writing center coordinators and tutors working with students who bring assignments from a variety of fields, to composition program administrators, to first-year writing instructors interested in preparing students for college writing, and to high school teachers attempting to bridge the gap between high school and college writing.
- Author BiographyDan Melzer is the University Reading and Writing Coordinator at California State University, Sacramento.
- Author(s)Dan Melzer
- PublisherUtah State University Press
- Date of Publication15/08/2014
- SubjectUsage & Writing Guides
- Place of PublicationLogan
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUtah State University Press
- Content Noteblack & white tables
- Weight220 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine4 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.