All listings for this product
Consider these sponsored items
About this product
- DescriptionFrom antiquity to the Enlightenment, astrology, magic, and alchemy have always been considered important tools in unravelling the mysteries of nature and human destiny. As a result of the West's exposure to the astrological beliefs of Arab philosophers and the mystical writings of late antiquity, these occult traditions became rich sources of inspiration for Western artists.This latest volume in the Guide to Imagery series, presents an intelligent analysis of occult icography in many of the great masterpieces of Western art - from the astrological symbols that decorated churches and illuminated manuscripts, through the work of a wide range of Renaissance artists, including Bosch, Brueghel, Durer and Caravaggio, to the visionary works of nineteenth-century artists, such as Fuseli and Blake, as well as in the creative output of the Surrealists during the twentieth century.
- Author BiographyMatilde Battistini is a noted art critic and author.
- Author(s)Matilde Battistini
- PublisherGetty Trust Publications
- Date of Publication07/02/2008
- LanguageEnglish & English
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Series TitleGuide to Imagery
- Place of PublicationSanta Monica CA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJ Paul Getty Trust Publications,US
- Content Noteillustrations throughout
- Weight703 g
- Width134 mm
- Height192 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.53Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.33
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.77
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.09
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.00
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $44.79
- AU $46.32Trending at AU $48.00
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.