CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $7.99Trending at AU $8.27
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.89
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $66.30Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.39
About this product
- DescriptionIn July of 1847 the first company of Mormon pioneers entered the Salt Lake Valley, having endured months of weary travel on their route to find Zion. The first recorded death in the valley, a 3-year-old boy, occurred just eighteen days after the group s arrival. That small boy, and the other members of the company who died in the opening years of the new settlement, were buried in a small family plot on Block 49, the city block immediately east of Salt Lake City s first pioneer fort. Within three decades the cemetery would be forgotten, covered by the building and growth of a rapidly expanding city. It would t be rediscovered until 1986, when new construction exposed the cemetery, allowing archaeologists to examine, study, and ultimately remove and relocate the burials. This report details the protective efforts of archaeologists to excavate and document the burial grounds before they were destroyed by the construction. Subsequent forensic and osteological laboratory work has been coupled with intensive historical research in an effort to connect individual burials with names and histories, and to shed light on pioneer health, nutrition, mortality, and burial customs.
- Author BiographyShane A. Baker is a senior archaeologist with the Environmental Affairs Department of the Idaho Power Company. He has served as adjunct faculty member at Brigham Young University, as assistant director for historic archaeology with the Office of Public Archaeology, and as curator of collections for the Museum of Peoples and Cultures at Brigham Young University.
- Author(s)Shane A Baker
- PublisherBrigham Young University Press
- Date of Publication15/01/2011
- Place of PublicationProvo
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBrigham Young University Press
- Weight431 g
- Width216 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.