All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe fifth century BC witnessed t only the emergence of one of the first democracies, but also the Persian and the Peloponnesian Wars. John Thorley provides a concise analysis of the development and operation of Athenian democracy against this backdrop. Taking into account both primary source material and the work of modern historians, Athenian Democracy examines: * the prelude to democracy * how the democractic system emerged * how this system worked in practice * the efficiency of this system of government * the success of Athenian democracy. Including a useful chrology and blibliography, this second edition has been updated to take into account recent research.
- Author BiographyJohn Thorley is recently retired and was formerly a Professor teaching within the departments of Teaching and Education Studies, In-Service Education and History at the Charlotte Mason College, Lancaster University.
- Author(s)John Thorley
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication02/09/2004
- SubjectAncient History
- Series TitleLancaster Pamphlets in Ancient History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note4 black & white line drawings
- Weight158 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $93.04
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.83
- AU $34.29Trending at AU $38.68
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.35
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $17.94
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.21
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.