Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.93
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.27
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.59
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.47
- AU $46.37Trending at AU $48.34
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.40
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.45
About this product
- DescriptionIn The Attic, his sequel to the classic We Have All Gone Away, Curtis Harnack returns to his rural Iowa homeplace to sift through an attic full of the trash and treasures left behind by the thirteen children in two generations who grew up in the big farmhouse. The adult Harnack had been making pilgrimages to his past from various parts of the country for thirty-plus years; w the death of an uncle and the disposal of an estate bring him home once more. The resonant diaries, church bulletins, photos, newspaper clippings, and other memorabilia in the attic allow him to rediscover both personal and universal truths as he explores the enduring legacies of home, family, and community. Finally, discovering a cache of letters written home while he was in the Navy in the mid 1940s, he confronts a stranger--his younger self. Harnack's 'dream-pod journey ...from who I am w to how it once was for me' tells the life story of a close-knit family and extends this story to our own journeys through our own memory-filled attics.
- Author BiographyCurtis Harnack grew up on a farm in Plymouth County in northwest Iowa. Professor of literature at Sarah Lawrence College from 1960 to 1971, executive director of Yaddo from 1971 to 1987, and president of the School of American Ballet from 1992 to 1997, he currently lives in New York City and still owns part of the family farm. In addition to The Attic: A Memoir, Gentlemen on the Prairie, We Have All Gone Away, he is the author of, among others, Persian Lions, Persian Lambs ; Limits of the Land ; Love and Be Silent ; and The Work of an Ancient Hand.
- Author(s)Curtis Harnack
- PublisherUniversity of Iowa Press
- Date of Publication15/05/2011
- SubjectBiography: General
- Series TitleBur Oak Books
- Place of PublicationIowa
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Iowa Press
- Content Note37 b&w photos, 1 chart
- Weight272 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.