All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the essential book reference for amplifier designers. Douglas Self covers all the design issues of ise, distortion, power supply rejection, protection, reliability, and layout. He describes advanced forms of compensation that give dramatically lower distortion. This edition is much expanded, and packed with new information. It is a must-have for audio power amplifier professionals and audiophiles, amateur constructors and anyone with intellectual curiosity about the struggle towards technical excellence. New to the sixth edition: * The characteristics of the audio signal * The principles of distortion * Feedback intermodulation distortion * Non-switching output stages * VAS distortion explained * Push-pull VAS configurations * Output-inclusive compensation In addition, five amplifier design examples that illustrate important design principles are examined and measured in detail. These can be straightforwardly adapted to specific requirements. This new edition also includes a wealth of material on the XD crossover-displacement principle (invented by the author and in use by Cambridge Audio), four-stage amplifier architectures, error correction, current-mirrors, power transistors with internal sensing diodes, amplifier bridging, input-stage-common-mode distortion, amplifier stability, output stages with gain, inrush current suppression, DC servo design, thermal protection, cooling fan control, advanced line input stages, testing and safety, infrared remote control, signal activation, 12V trigger control, the history of solid-state amplifiers and much more. Simple procedures for heatsinking and power supply design are given.
- Author BiographyDouglas Self has established straightforward but highly effective amplifier design techniques based on sound engineering principles and experimental data. His rigorous and thoroughly practical approach has established him as a leading authority on audio amplifier design. Douglas studied engineering at Cambridge University, then psychoacoustics at Sussex University. He has spent many years working at the top level of design in both the professional audio and hifi industries, and has taken out a number of patents in the field of audio technology. He currently acts as a consultant engineer in the field of audio design.
- Author(s)Douglas Self
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication18/07/2013
- SubjectOther Specific Technologies
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFocal Press
- Content Note635 black & white illustrations, 80 black & white tables
- Weight1564 g
- Width191 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine38 mm
- Edition Statement6th Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.40
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.27
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.21
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $104.10
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.47
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.98
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.28
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.