All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWilliam Blandowski was an explorer, natural scientist and artist who led a Victorian government expedition to the junction of the Murray and Darling Rivers from 1856 to 1857. Australia is the first publication in English of his nineteenth-century illustrated encyclopaedia of Aboriginal life, Australien in 142 photographischen Abbildungen nach zehnjarigen Erfahrungen. In Australia, Blandowski explores the potential of images to portray the lives of people engaged in everyday activities, as well as dramatic conflicts and rituals. They include Blandowski's own photographs, and photographs of sketches or illustrations created by others, including the only nineteenth-century portrait image of the Nyeri Nyeri people. By reading Australia, we become on-the-spot participants in moments of 'first contact'.
- Author BiographyAssociate Professor Harry Allen teaches in the Department of Anthroplogy at Auckland University, New Zealand. He is a Research Associate at La Trobe University. Victoria.
- PublisherAboriginal Studies Press
- Date of Publication01/08/2010
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationCanberra
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintAboriginal Studies Press
- Content Notecolour illus
- Weight926 g
- Width290 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byHarry Allen
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.48
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.31
- AU $36.79Trending at AU $38.13
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.65
- AU $33.37Trending at AU $36.24
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.49
- AU $23.12Trending at AU $33.89
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.