All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTeens with autism have the potential to be excellent actors. They are natural observers-able to study, imitate, and learn social behavior. The Autism Playbook for Teens is designed to bolster these strengths with mindfulness strategies and roleplaying scripts, while also helping teens reduce anxiety, manage emotions, be more aware in the present moment, and connect with others. This book offers a unique, strengths-based approach to help teens with autism spectrum (including Asperger's Syndrome) develop social skills, strengthen communication, and thrive. The activities contained in each chapter are custom-designed to work with the unique perspectives, sensory processing, neurological strengths and challenges that teens with autism bring to their encounters with the social world. By engaging in these activities, teens will gain an authentic awareness of their surroundings, leading to better social interaction that is also rewarding, interesting, and fun. The delightful and creative activities in this book are grounded in well-documented clinical observations and current empirical studies. They also take into account the real neurological differences that exist in young people with autism, and focuses on the unique pathways needed to connect with and inspire these exceptional and fabulous teenagers.
- Author BiographyIrene McHenry, PhD, is a licensed psychologist, dynamic educator, consultant, and the author and editor of numerous publications, including Tuning In: Mindfulness in Teaching and Learning. She leads programs nationwide with a focus on leadership and mindfulness. McHenry was founding head of Delaware Valley Friends School (for teens with learning differences), cofounder of Greenwood Friends School, founding faculty for Fielding Graduate University's doctoral program in education, and a senior investigator for the Mind and Life Summer Research Institute. She serves as executive director of Friends Council on Education, past-president for the Council for American Private Education, and serves on the boards of Mindfulness in Education Network, Vector Group Consulting North America, and Haverford College. Carol Moog, PhD, is founder of ImagineAct, is the clinical director of the Social Learning Disorders Program at the University of Pennsylvania, a psychologist at The Miquon School, active collaborator with Autism Inclusion Resources (AIR), and works extensively with children, teens and adults on the autism spectrum in her clinical practice as a licensed psychologist. Carol was an artist-in-residence at Green Tree School and a consultant to the Social Competency Program at the Center for Autism, creating theater-based social skills programs for teens drawing from her experience as a theater improviser/actor, musician, communications consultant, and author of Are They Selling Her Lips? Advertising and Identity. She has been interviewed by The Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Newsweek, The Philadelphia Inquirer, USA Today, National Public Radio with Terry Gross, The Today Show, and Good Morning America. Foreword writer Susan Kaiser Greenland, JD, is a former corporate attorney who developed the Inner Kids mindful awareness program for children, teens and families. Research on the Inner Kids elementary school program was conducted at the Mindful Awareness Research Center at UCLA and is published in the Journal of Applied School Psychology. Susan is author of The Mindful Child, and teaches children, parents, and professionals and consults with various organizations on teaching mindful awareness in an age-appropriate and secular manner. She has spoken at universities, medical centers and schools, both public and private, worldwide. Susan lives in Los Angeles with her husband Seth Greenland. They have two grown children.
- Author(s)Irene McHenry
- PublisherNew Harbinger Publications
- Date of Publication25/09/2014
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Series TitleAn Instant Help Book for Teens
- Place of PublicationOakland, CA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew Harbinger Publications
- Weight204 g
- Width154 mm
- Height201 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
- AU $20.16Trending at AU $25.71
- AU $30.12Trending at AU $32.49
- AU $28.45Trending at AU $29.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.