All listings for this product
About this product
- Description<p> Pamuk is a writer who shares my reverence for the great art of the vel. He takes the vel seriously in a way that is perhaps longer possible for Western writers, boldly describing it as European civilization's greatest invention. --Michael McGaha <br>Turkish velist Orhan Pamuk is a prominent voice in Turkish literature, speaking to the country's history, culture, and politics. In 2006, he became the first Turkish writer to receive the Nobel Prize for Literature.<p> Autobiographies of Orhan Pamuk is the first book-length study of the life and writings of Pamuk. It provides both a historical and cultural context that will help readers better understand and appreciate both the man and his work. It begins with a brief biography, outlines Pamuk's contributions to Turkish literature and history, examines how his art has evolved over the past thirty years, and discusses some of the writers who provided inspiration. Though his books deal with specifically Turkish issues, like all great literature the themes they explore are universal. In addition to a thorough analysis of his seven published vels, including Sw and My Name is Red, an entire chapter is devoted to his first two vels, Cevdet Bey and Sons and The Silent House, which have yet to be translated into English.<p>This is a comprehensive examination of the Nobel laureate's work, free of jargon and of interest to anyone who enjoys good literature.<p>
- Author BiographyMichael McGaha is the Yale B. and Lucille D. Griffith Professor of Modern Languages Emeritus at Pomona College. He has published fourteen previous books, including Coat of Many Cultures: The Story of Joseph in Spanish Literature, 1200-1492.
- Author(s)Michael McGaha
- PublisherUniversity of Utah Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication15/06/2008
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationSalt Lake City
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Utah Press,U.S.
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight472 g
- Width163 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine22 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.06
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.22
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.12
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.23
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.93
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $95.49
- AU $19.03Trending at AU $21.99
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.