All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis work traces the transformation of storytelling in the digital age. Since its inception, narratology has developed primarily as an investigation of literary narrative fiction. In Avatars of Story , Marie-Laure Ryan moves beyond literary works to examine electronic narrative forms. By grappling with semiotic media other than language and techlogy other than print, she reveals how digital media convey meaning and create stories. Ryan begins by considering texts such as a 1989 Cubs - Giants baseball broadcast, the reality television show Survivor , and the film The Truman Show . She then expands her investigation into new media: computer games such as EverQuest and Super Mario Bros., software-driven hypertext fiction such as the GPS-based 314 North 118 West, and Facade, a multimedia, AI-supported project in interactive drama. In doing so, Ryan distinguishes a spectrum of narrative modes, such as utilitarian, illustrative, indeterminate, and metaphorical. Ultimately, Ryan stresses the difficulty of reconciling narrativity with interactivity and anticipates the time when media will provide new ways to experience stories or even permanently alter what is recognized as story.
- Author BiographyMarie-Laure Ryan is an independent scholar and the author of, most recently, Narrative as Virtual Reality: Immersion and Interactivity in Literature and Electronic Media.
- Author(s)Marie-Laure Ryan
- PublisherUniversity of Minnesota Press
- Date of Publication30/07/2006
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationMinneapolis
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Minnesota Press
- Content Note8 halftones, 10 line art illustrations, 1 table
- Weight404 g
- Width150 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.42
- AU $27.80Trending at AU $30.93
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $26.96
- AU $29.32Trending at AU $32.03
- AU $71.12Trending at AU $80.38
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.78
- AU $25.16Trending at AU $27.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.