All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.15
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.64
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.68
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.42
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.63
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $89.41
- AU $86.99Trending at AU $97.42
About this product
- DescriptionBabel features more of the rhetorical acrobatics that fueled Barbara Hamby's earlier work. These whirlwinds of words and sounds form vistas, images, and scenes that are at once unique and immediately recognizable. In poems such as Six, Sex, Say, she displays a linguistic bravado that moves effortlessly through translations, cognates, and homonyms. This love of words permeates the poems, from the husband wooing his future wife with a barrage of words so cunningly fluent, / so linguistically adroit in Flesh, Bone, and Red, to the alphabetic sampler woven from memory and love in Ode on My Mother's Handwriting. Hamby's poems drift across histories and continents, from early writing and culture in Mesopotamia through the motion-picture heaven that seems so much like Paris, to odes on such thoroughly American subjects as hardware stores, bubblegum, barbecue, and sharp-tongued cocktail waitresses giving mandatory pre-date quizzes to lawyers and orangutans in the guise of men. As Booklist ted in reviewing her previous collection, Hamby's poems are tsunamis carrying you far out to sea and then back to shore giddy and glad to be alive.
- Author BiographyBarbara Hamby is the author of Delirium, which won the Vassar Miller Prize, the Poetry Society of America's Norma Farber First Book Award, and the Kate Tufts Award; and The Alphabet of Desire, which won the New York University Poetry Prize and was chosen as one of the twenty-five best books of 1999 by the New York City Public Library. She teaches creative writing at Florida State University.
- Author(s)Barbara Hamby
- PublisherUniversity of Pittsburgh Press
- Date of Publication30/11/2004
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Series TitlePitt Poetry Series
- Place of PublicationPittsburgh PA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Pittsburgh Press
- Weight141 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine7 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.