All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA dynamic new story about how babies make their way in the world--and how grown-ups have tried to make sense of these tiny inscrutable beings.As a new parent, Nicholas Day had some basic but confounding questions: Why does my son find the straitjacket of his swaddling blanket comforting and t terrifying? How can he never meet a developmental rm and still be OK? And when will he stop sucking my finger? So he went digging for answers. They were t what he expected.Drawing on a wealth of perspectives--scientific, historical, cross-cultural, personal-- Baby Meets World is organized around the mundane activities that dominate the life of an infant: sucking, smiling, touching, toddling. From these everyday activities, Day weaves together an account that is anything but ordinary: a fresh, surprising story, both weird and wondrous, about our first experience of the world.Part hidden history of parenthood, part secret lives of babies, Baby Meets World steps back from the moment-to-moment chaos of babydom. It allows readers to see infancy anew in all its strangeness and splendor.
- Author BiographyNICHOLAS DAY has been a wine salesman, a wedding cake baker, a fairground maintenance man, and a stay-at-home father. He writes about the care of children for Slate and the feeding of them for Food52. His writing has also appeared in Salon, Washington Post, Chicago Tribune, Chicago Reader, and Time Out Chicago, among other publications. He lives in Chicago with his family.
- Author(s)Nicholas Day
- PublisherSt Martin's Press
- Date of Publication28/05/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPregnancy & Parenting
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSt Martin's Press
- Weight318 g
- Width137 mm
- Height208 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.88Trending at AU $23.55
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.13
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $20.38Trending at AU $26.52
- AU $29.12Trending at AU $29.58
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.