Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionChristian Dior called Cristobal Balenciaga the master of us all. The priest-like Balenciaga, whose private life remained a total mystery until the day he died, created day dresses of deceiving simplicity and evening gowns of staggering extravagance, and for them he was paid the highest prices in the couture world. His faithful clients were the great fashion plates of the postwar years: the Duchess of Windsor, Gloria Guinness, Pauline de Rothschild, and Mona Bismarck, among others. Cristobal Balenciaga was born in 1895 in Getaria, in Spain's Basque country, and at the early age of twenty-four he created his own couture house in San Sebastian. He opened in Barcelona in 1933, in Madrid in 1935, and in 1948 on the Avenue Georges V in Paris, where he could serve a more international clientele. Cristobal Balenciaga retired in 1968 and died in reclusion in his native Spain in 1972. The informative text and legendary photography in this volume beautifully document this master's immeasurably influential life and work.
- Author BiographyMarie-Andree Jouve is the co-author of Balenciaga, with Jacqueline Demornex, for the Editions du Regard. She has been in charge of the Balenciaga archives since 1980 and has participated in numerous exhibitions - in Tokyo and at the Textile Museum in Lyon in 1980, at the Fashion Institute in New York City in 1986, at the National Gallery of Melbourne in 1992, at the Mona Bismarck Foundation in Paris in 1994, at the Costume Museum of Barcelona, at the Balenciaga Foundation in Getaria.
- Author(s)Marie-Andree Jouve
- Date of Publication01/10/2004
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Series TitleMemoirs
- Place of PublicationParis
- Country of PublicationFrance
- Content Note60 colour and b/w photographs
- Weight363 g
- Width155 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine11 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.