All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.95Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.74Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionThe island of Bali has long been characterized in the West as the last paradise on earth, but there is far more to this small Indonesian province. Bali Tourism presents an enlightening ethgraphic study of some of the most important icons-for tourists and locals alike-in Balinese culture and society and explores the growth of this island as an exotic vacation destination. In addition, it offers a firsthand look at many aspects of daily life, a semiotic analysis of its dominant cultural symbols, and insights into tourists' perceptions of Bali. A thirty page photo section offers a unique glimpse at this remarkable island. Through a distinctive use of cultural analysis and psychoanalytic modes of interpretation, Bali Tourism offers an in-depth study of Balinese tourism, society, and character. This handy, easy-to-read text is an essential overview of what the island has to offer tourists and looks at the exciting possibilities-and the potential pitfalls-of visiting this extraordinary land. The book paints a vivid portrait of this country's hidden gems and popular tourist destinations, exploring the ways visitors see Bali-and how the Balinese see visitors-as well as the promise and problems Bali faces in developing its tourism industry. Bali Tourism is an ideal book to read before visiting Bali yourself-or recommending/planning a trip for others. The fresh insights it presents will help make any trip to the region more rewarding for the traveler. It is also a unique scholarly resource, complete with informative tables, references, and a bibliography, for academics and students at all levels of tourism studies.
- Author BiographyArthur Asa Berger, PhD is Professor Emeritus of broadcast and electronic communication arts at San Francisco State University where he taught between 1965 and 2003. He is the author of more than 50 books on media, popular culture, humor, everyday life and in recent years travel and tourism. Among his books on tourism are Deconstructing Travel; Cultural Perspectives on Tourism; Ocean Travel and Cruising; Vietnam Tourism and Thailand Tourism. In these books on tourism, he uses a cultural studies and socio-semiotic approach to tourism, analysing important signs, symbols and touristically important activities in the cultures and societies he studies. He has lectured in more than a dozen countries and his books have been translated into eight languages.
- Author(s)Arthur Asa Berger
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Inc
- Date of Publication11/10/2011
- SubjectIndustrial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRoutledge Member of the Taylor and Francis Group
- Content Note23 black & white illustrations, 30 colour illustrations, 14 black & white tables, 23 black & white halftones, 30 colour illustrations
- Weight360 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.