All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHer curiosity began as a teenager, with an awareness of her body and the reaction other people had to it. It continued with the realization that women's bodies often gave them a strange power over men. As an adult, it became a fascination with professional sex workers, leading to a plunge into their world. Bare follows the authora young feminist journalism majorand her fellow dancers through Seattle strip clubs and bachelor parties, exploring in riveting detail Eaves' own motivations and behavior, as well as those of her coworkers, as they make their way through the sometimes exhilarating, often disturbing world of stripping. This compelling, revealing memoir exposes the reader to that world behind the flashing lights, and offers illuminating insights into the reasons women take up this workand how it affects their identities and lives off the job. In its unstinting honesty, Bare demands that we take a closer look at the way sexuality is viewed in our culture; what, if anything, constitutes rmal desire; the ethics of swapping moneyor anything elsefor sex; and how women and men navigate the perilous contradictions and double standards that make up today's socio-sexual conversation.
- Author(s)Elisabeth Eaves
- PublisherSeal Press
- Date of Publication03/08/2004
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Place of PublicationSeattle, WA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSeal Press
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.03Trending at AU $32.48
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $16.14
- AU $43.67Trending at AU $48.90
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $33.73
- AU $21.54Trending at AU $28.01
- AU $11.97Trending at AU $20.27
- AU $24.18Trending at AU $34.88
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.