All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.10
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $88.03
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.00
- AU $20.47Trending at AU $21.76
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.75
- AU $30.45Trending at AU $51.44
About this product
- DescriptionIntricate, expressive, given to grandeur and even excess, Baroque art as a style is inseparable from the meanings it seeks to convey. Vern Hyde Mir's Baroque Visual Rhetoric probes this combination of style and message and - equally importantly - the methodological basis on which the critical art historian comes to establish that meaning. Drawing on a breathtaking range of critical literature, from the German founders of art history as an academic discipline to Heidegger, Derrida, and de Man, Mir considers the issue through a series of Baroque masterpieces: Bernini's Baldacchi in St. Peter's Basilica, the statues in the church of San Giovanni in Latera, Borromini's church of Sant'Ivo alla Sapienza, Baciccio's frescoes in the church of Il Gesu, the paintings of Philippe de Champaigne, and the Corsini Chapel in San Giovanni in Latera.
- Author BiographyVernon Hyde Minor is a professor emeritus in the Department of Art and Art History at the University of Colorado Boulder.
- Author(s)Vernon Hyde Minor
- PublisherUniversity of Toronto Press
- Date of Publication21/12/2015
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Series TitleToronto Italian Studies
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of Toronto Press
- Content Note51
- Weight560 g
- Width162 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine27 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.