All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.20
- AU $21.73Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.07
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $30.18Trending at AU $35.05
About this product
- DescriptionThe book is primarily intended as a textbook on modern algebra for undergraduate mathematics students. It is also useful for those who are interested in supplementary reading at a higher level. The text is designed in such a way that it encourages independent thinking and motivates students towards further study. The book covers all major topics in group, ring, vector space and module theory that are usually contained in a standard modern algebra text. In addition, it studies semigroup, group action, Hopf's group, topological groups and Lie groups with their actions, applications of ring theory to algebraic geometry, and defines Zariski topology, as well as applications of module theory to structure theory of rings and homological algebra. Algebraic aspects of classical number theory and algebraic number theory are also discussed with an eye to developing modern cryptography. Topics on applications to algebraic topology, category theory, algebraic geometry, algebraic number theory, cryptography and theoretical computer science interlink the subject with different areas. Each chapter discusses individual topics, starting from the basics, with the help of illustrative examples. This comprehensive text with a broad variety of concepts, applications, examples, exercises and historical tes represents a valuable and unique resource.
- Author BiographyMahima Ranjan Adhikari, PhD, is a former professor of pure mathematics at the University of Calcutta. His main interest lies is in algebra and topology. He has published a number of papers in several Indian and foreign journals including Proceedings of American Mathematical Society and four textbooks. 11 students have already been awarded PhD degree under his guidance. He is a member of American Mathematical Society and on the editorial board of several Indian and foreign journals. He was the president of the Mathematical Science Section of the 95th Indian Science Congress, 2008. He visited several institutions in India, USA, Japan, France, Greece, Sweden, Switzerland, Italy and many other countries on invitation. He is now the president of the Institute for Mathematics, Bioinformatics, Information Technology and Computer Science (IMBIC), www.imbic.org/index.html. He is also the principal investigator of an ongoing project, funded by the Government of India. Avishek Adhikari, PhD, is an assistant professor of pure mathematics at the University of Calcutta. He is a recipient of the President of India Medal and Young Scientist Award. He was a post-doctorate fellow at the Research Institute INRIA, Rocquencourt, France. He was a visiting scientist at Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata, and Linkoping University, Sweden. He visited many institutions in Japan, Sweden, France, England, Switzerland. His main interest lies is in algebra, discrete mathematics, theoretical computer science and their applications. He has published several papers in foreign journals and three textbooks on mathematics. He successfully completed several projects funded by the Government of India, and is a member of the research team from India for a collaborative Indo-Japan (DST-JST) research project. He is a member on editorial board of several journals and secretary (honorary) of the Research Institute IMBIC (www.imbic.org/index.html).
- Author(s)Avishek Adhikari,Mahima Ranjan Adhikari
- PublisherSpringer, India, Private Ltd
- Date of Publication07/12/2013
- LanguageEnglish & English
- Place of PublicationNew Delhi
- Country of PublicationIndia
- ImprintSpringer, India, Private Ltd
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight1094 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine34 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.