All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a beginning-level course in written Chinese that employs a revolutionary new method designed to have you quickly reading and writing simple, connected Chinese sentences. Along with its sister book Basic Spoken Chinese and their accompanying workbooks, Basic Written Chinese offers a complete introductory course to the Chinese language. As a native English speaker, working hard to learn Chinese is t eugh; you have to work smart in order to learn this very different language efficiently. No matter why you've chosen to learn Chinese--for business, travel, cultural studies or ather goal--the Basic Chinese approach of two separate but integrated tracts in spoken and written Chinese will help you learn this language most efficiently and successfully. Basic Written Chinese is designed so it can be used in a class with an instructor or by independent learners working on their own. Basic Written Chinese systematically introduces 288 of the highest frequency characters (in both their simplified and traditional forms) and over 700 common words written with them in context in sentences and a variety of reading passages to help you master basic Chinese reading and writing.The structure of each new character is explained in detail to make the learning of characters easier, and look-alike characters are compared and contrasted.Many lessons include character differentiation drills and some lessons include realia such as name cards, street signs, or email messages.Each lesson introduces 6 new characters and a number of words that are written using them. By dividing the leaning into small tasks, you maintain a sense of accomplishment rather than getting bogged down.You'll experience both printed and handwritten forms of characters, as well as several different printed fonts.Available separately, Basic Written Chinese Practice Essentials is the companion workbook for Basic Written Chinese. This practical guide includes a broad range of drills and exercises designed to dramatically enhance your proficiency in reading and writing Chinese. While designed for use with the companion textbook, it can be used together with any Chinese textbook or teaching program to hone your Chinese reading and writing language skills.
- Author BiographyCornelius C. Kubler is Stanfield Professor of Asian Studies at Williams College, where he teaches Chinese. He was formerly Chinese Language Training Supervisor and Chair of the Department of Asian and African Languages at the Foreign Service Institute, U.S. Department of State, where he trained American diplomats in Chinese and other languages. Jerling Guo Kubler is a graduate of the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures of Soochow University, Taipei. Her experience in language education spans more than 35 years. She has taught all levels of Chinese as a Second/Foreign Language from pre-kindergarten to university level at institutions including Williams College, Eisenhower College and Taipei Language Institute.
- Author(s)Cornelius C. Kubler
- PublisherTuttle Publishing
- Date of Publication02/03/2012
- FormatMixed media product
- SubjectLanguage Learning (other than ELT)
- Place of PublicationBoston
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTuttle Publishing
- Content NoteApprox 200 Colour Illustrations and Photographs
- Weight1520 g
- Width216 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine24 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $94.99Trending at AU $106.80
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.51
- AU $104.90Trending at AU $118.13
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.21
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $107.74
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $106.06
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.61
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.