All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionChristmas--a time of peace on Earth and goodwill towards all--is also a time of gift-buying craziness and rampant commercialism. How did we get from the birth of Jesus to department store Santas? Read about the traditions and superstitions surrounding one of our most important holidays, and learn how other cultures celebrate the season: * The U.S. Congress actually considered canceling Christmas in 1918 * The word mistletoe is an Anglo-Saxon word meaning dung on a twig * Early Christmas trees were often hung upside-down from the ceiling * Christmas was first celebrated on December 25 in 336 AD as a holiday feast day established by the Roman Emperor Constantine * In Caracas, Venezuela, people roller skate to church on Christmas morning * The Greeks believe you must burn all your old shoes at Christmas to stamp out any possible bad luck in the coming year * Since 1993, Scotsman Andy Park has consumed a traditional Christmas dinner every day * A popular Christmas after-dinner delicacy in Greenland is mattak--a slice of whale skin with the blubber attached * If you actually got every gift named in The Twelve Days of Christmas, you'd have 364 gifts * Discover all of these facts and so much more.
- Author BiographyBestselling author Lisa Wojna has authored or co-authored more than 20 books for Blue Bike Books, including Weird Canadian Laws and the Bathroom Book of Canadian Quotes. She has also written many other non-fiction books. Having worked in the community newspaper industry as a writer and journalist, she has traveled all over Canada from the windy prairies of Manitoba to northern British Columbia and even to the wilds of Africa. Although writing and photography have been a central part of her life for as long as she can remember, its the people behind every story that are her motivation and give her the most fulfillment.
- Author(s)Lisa Wojna
- PublisherBlue Bike Books
- Date of Publication01/07/2007
- SubjectTrivia & Quiz Books
- Place of PublicationEdmonton
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintBlue Bike Books
- Content Noteb/w illus
- Weight228 g
- Width55 mm
- Height209 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Illustrator(s)Roger Garcia
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.20
- AU $21.73Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.07
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $30.18Trending at AU $35.05
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.