All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $70.84
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.70
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.14
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $87.71
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.72
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $35.87
- AU $28.96Trending at AU $38.89
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1863, Stockport warehouseman William John Battersby refused to change the date of his wedding, a decision which ultimately cost him his job. He could never have guessed that this would be a pivotal moment t just in his life, but ultimately in the history of the British hat industry. Starting his own business in a rented building with just twenty-one employees, within in twenty years he had a purpose-built factory bearing his name that was to endure for over a century and export to every continent. A proud and industrious workforce helped the business prosper over generations and through two world wars until the latter half of the twentieth century saw the once-great industry decline and finally fade away. Using a wonderful collection of contemporary, largely unseen photographs, accounts and documents, Battersby Hats: An Illustrated History shows the progress of the firm and also the private triumphs and tragedies of the family who ran it. A fascinating celebration of the efforts and dreams of the founder, his descendants, and the employees who sustained this world-famous firm throughout its existence.
- Author BiographyRupert Battersby is the great grandson of the founder of Battersby Hats, and son of the last Managing Director. A Manchester University languages graduate, he served in Cheshire Constabulary for twenty-eight years. Married with two grown up children, he divides his time between his dogs, horses and family history research.
- Author(s)Rupert Battersby
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication10/11/2016
- SubjectIndustrial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note200
- Weight308 g
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.