Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $15.00+ AU $6.00 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by sarahs_preloved_booksnbits
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEco returns to the Middle Ages with Baudoli - a wondrous, provocative, beguiling tale of history, myth, and invention. It is April, 1204, and Constantiple, the splendid capital of the Byzantine Empire, is being sacked and burned by the knights of the fourth Crusade. Amid the carnage and confusion, one Baudoli saves a Byzantine historian and high court official from certain death at the hands of the crusading warriors, and proceeds to tell his own fantastical story. Born a simple peasant in rthern Italy, Baudoli has two major gifts - a talent for learning foreign languages and skill in relling lies. One day, when still a boy, he met a foreign commander in the woods, charming him with his quick wit and lively mind. The commander - who proves to be the emperor Frederick Barbarossa - adopts Baudoli and sends him to the university in Paris, where he makes a number of fearless, adventurous friends. Spurred on by myths and their own reveries, this merry band sets out in search of Prester John, a legendary priest-king who was said to rule over a vast kingdom in the East - a phantasmagorical land of strange creatures with eyes on their shoulders and mouths on their stomachs, of eunuchs, unicorns, and lovely maidens. As always with Eco, this abundant vel includes dazzling digressions, outrageous tricks, pages of extraordinary feeling and poetry, and vicarious reflections on our postmodern age. Baudoli is an utterly marvelous tale by the inimitable author of The Name of the Rose.
- Author BiographyUmberto Eco is the author of three bestselling novels, The Name of The Rose, Foucault's Pendulum, and The Island of The Day Before. His collections of essays also include Five Moral Pieces, Kant and the Platypus, Serendipities, Travels In Hyperreality, and How To Travel With a Salmon and Other Essays. A Professor of Semiotics at the University of Bologna, Umberto Eco lives in Italy.
- Author(s)Umberto Eco
- PublisherVintage Publishing
- Date of Publication15/10/2002
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Place of PublicationLodnon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMartin Secker & Warburg Ltd
- Out-of-print date10/02/2016
- Content Notemaps
- Weight820 g
- Width161 mm
- Height243 mm
- Spine44 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $20.42Trending at AU $30.71
- AU $7.43Trending at AU $11.95
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.01
- AU $56.57Trending at AU $60.36
- AU $11.92Trending at AU $15.93
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $23.74
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $22.87
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.