All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBeauty challenges conventional approaches to the subject through an interdisciplinary approach that forges connections between the arts, sciences and mathematics. Classical, conventional aspects of beauty are addressed in subtle, unexpected ways: symmetry in mathematics, attraction in the animal world and beauty in the cosmos. This collection arises from the Darwin College Lecture Series of 2011 and includes essays from eight distinguished scholars, all of whom are held in esteem t only for their research but also for their ability to communicate their subject to popular audiences. Each essay is entertaining, accessible and thought-provoking and is accompanied by images illustrating beauty in practice. Contributors include the artist Jose Hernandez, Nobel Prize Laureate Frank Wilczek, Lord May of Oxford and Jeanne Altmann (Eugene Higgins Professor of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology at Princeton University).
- Author BiographyLauren Arrington is Lecturer in Literature at the institute of Irish Studies, University of Liverpool. She held the Adrian Research Fellowship in English at Darwin College from 2008 to 2009. Her research is focussed on late nineteenth- and twentieth-century literature and history. Zoe Malka Leinhardt is a planetary astrophysicist researching the formation of planets. She is currently an STFC Advanced Fellow in the School of Physics at the University of Bristol. Philip Dawid is a Fellow of Darwin College and Professor of Statistics at the University of Cambridge. He holds the Snedecor Award for Best Publication in Biometry, the DeGroot Prize for a Published Book in Statistical Science and the Royal Statistical Society's Guy Medals in Bronze and Silver. His research focuses on general principles of reasoning from evidence, both statistical evidence and more general forms.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication23/05/2013
- Series TitleDarwin College Lectures
- Series Part/Volume Number24
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note67 b/w illus.
- Weight340 g
- Width174 mm
- Height247 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Edited byLauren Arrington,Philip Dawid,Zoe Leinhardt
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.00Trending at AU $19.09
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.48
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.31
- AU $36.79Trending at AU $38.13
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.65
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.49
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.64
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.