All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.50Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $44.28Trending at AU $47.26
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.39
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $14.06
About this product
- DescriptionBecoming Activist is a revolutionary study of youth human rights activism and literacy learning. The book follows five urban youth organizers from the Drop Kwledge Project in New York City. Intentionally polyvocal, the voices of the five youth are featured prominently to highlight the shifting articulation of their activist identities in relation to social and ecomic justice. Becoming Activist explores critical literacy pedagogy beyond the confines of formal education. While it has been historically theorized within English classrooms, much existing research points to the limitations of conducting critical literacy in schools. In search of a space where critical literacy can be more fully realized, this book positions urban youth organizing as an alternative context for powerful community-based learning. A valuable read for educators, researchers, and young organizers, Becoming Activist offers insight into conducting literacy work to promote positive youth and community development. Ultimately, the idea of becoming is key to understanding and supporting youth activists as they grow to exercise their political power for positive social change.
- Author BiographyElizabeth Bishop holds a PhD in Language, Literacy, and Culture from the University of Pittsburgh. She has taught history, literature, writing, and media in New York schools and community organizations. Bishop works as Assistant Director of the Peace Corps Fellows at Teachers College, Columbia University.
- Author(s)Elizabeth Bishop
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication18/03/2015
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Series TitleCritical Praxis and Curriculum Guides
- Series Part/Volume Number6
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2015
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight210 g
- Width150 mm
- Height225 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.