All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $30.87Trending at AU $31.45
- AU $74.23Trending at AU $76.09
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.80
- AU $31.84Trending at AU $37.29
- AU $10.39Trending at AU $15.38
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $26.33Trending at AU $51.27
About this product
- DescriptionThe state of women in Islamic societies is the subject of much interest and heated debate, even as representations in the media rely on inadequate information and misperceptions. Becoming Visible in Iran disputes the widespread stereotypes about Muslim women prevalent in the West, providing a vivid account of young women in contemporary Iran. Beginning at home, women are infusing dramatic change by challenging the patriarchal conceptions of their fathers, brothers, uncles and others within the intimate sphere of family and home. Empowered by education, they transport their power from the domestic and the private to the public and political. Through detailed interviews and striking narratives, Mehri Honarbin-Holliday presents the experiences of these young women who wield significant indirect political influence on the seemingly male-dominated politics of Iran. For its direct presentation of women's perspectives as well as its analysis and insight, this book is a vital contribution to our understanding of the lives of Muslim women and the possibilities before them today.
- Author BiographyMehri Honarbin-Holliday is Senior Research Fellow at Canterbury Christ Church University and Fellow at the Centre for Gender Studies, the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), University of London. She is the author of Masculinities in Urban Iran (I.B.Tauris, forthcoming).
- Author(s)Mehri Honarbin-Holliday
- PublisherI.B.Tauris & Co Ltd
- Date of Publication30/06/2013
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note15 b/w integrated
- Weight227 g
- Width134 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.