All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMany American educators are all too familiar with disengaged students, disenfranchised teachers, sanitized and irrelevant curricula, inadequate support for the neediest schools and students, and the tyranny of standardizing testing. This text invites teachers and would-be teachers unhappy with such conditions to consider becoming critical educators - professionals dedicated to creating schools that genuinely provide equal opportunity for all children. Assuming little or background in critical theory, chapters address several essential questions to help readers develop the understanding and resolve necessary to become change agents. Why do critical theorists say that education is always political? How do traditional and critical agendas for schools differ? Which agenda benefits whose children? What classroom and policy changes does critical practice require? What risks must change agents accept? Resources point readers toward opportunities to deepen their understanding beyond the limits of these pages.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Patricia H. Hinchey holds an Ed.D. from Teachers College, Columbia University, and is Associate Professor of Education at Pennsylvania State University. She is the author of numerous articles and editorial pieces, as well as Student Rights: A Reference Handbook and co-author of The Graduate Grind: A Critical Look at Graduate Education. Her popular introduction to critical theory, Finding Freedom in the Classroom (Peter Lang, 1998), earned the 1998 American Educational Studies Association Critic's Choice Award.
- Author(s)Patricia H. Hinchey
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/08/2006
- Series TitleCounterpoints
- Series Part/Volume Number224
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight280 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edition Statement3rd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.84
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.82
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.31
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.95
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.00
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $28.26
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.32
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.