All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $39.95Trending at AU $54.70
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.60
- AU $18.90Trending at AU $23.23
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.31
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $56.23
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.68
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.29
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume unmasks tensions among ecomic, political, and educational goals in the context of becoming and being a teacher. Chapters frame becoming and being a teacher within commitments to democracy and political literacy while confronting neoliberal assumptions about American society, universal public education, and education reform. A wide variety of teachers and scholars discuss teacher preparation and teaching through evidence-based examinations of complex problems and solutions facing teachers, education policymakers, the public, and students. Teaching is embraced as a political act, and critical subjectivity is endorsed as a rejection of objectivity and traditional paradigms of teaching designed to create a compliant teacher workforce. The book hors and celebrates voice and collective voice, both of which speak to and from the inexorable fact of becoming and being a teacher as one and the same.
- Author BiographyP. L. Thomas (Ed.D. in curriculum and instruction, University of South Carolina) is Associate Professor of Education at Furman University in Greenville, South Carolina. He is a column editor for English Journal (National Council of Teachers of English), series editor for the Critical Literacy Teaching Series, and author of numerous books and journal articles. His most recent volume is Ignoring Poverty in the U.S.: The Corporate Takeover of Public Education.
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication12/01/2013
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleCritical Studies in Democracy and Political Literarcy
- Series Part/Volume Number2
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2013
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight560 g
- Width155 mm
- Height230 mm
- Edited byP. L. Thomas
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.