Bedside, Bathtub and Armchair Companion to Mark Twain by Pam McAllister (Paperback, 2008)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $32.26+ AU $3.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by rarewaves-outlet
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $8.02+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by book_fountain
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHe has been called The Lincoln of Our Literature, and t less a literary authority than Ernest Hemingway cited The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn as the source from which all American literature springs. Now, the great Samuel Langhorne Clemens (1835-1910), better kwn as Mark Twain, is the subject of a new volume in Continuum's acclaimed Bedside, Bathtub & Armchair series. Written for general readers and students as well as scholars, with a view to presenting the kwn and, especially, the unkwn Twain, The Bedside, Bathtub & Armchair Companion to Mark Twain covers all of the works as well as the rambling and often wildly psyche and contradictory life. This book puts the reader right on the Mississippi River with Twain and all his unforgettable characters - Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn, Becky Thatcher, Pudd'nhead Wilson and many others. Framed by two appearances of Hailey's Comet, Twain's life takes on a new mythic dimension through these pages: humorist and misanthrope, self-made author and n-believer in uneducated Shakespeare as the author of his plays, inventor and journalist, provincial American and worldly sophisticate, Twain comes alive as perhaps never before in these pages. It is the perfect gift to satisfy the millions of Twainiacs who return to the master's vels and stories again and again, every year. The Bedside, Bathtub & Armchair Companions are concise, witty, and often unexpected takes on the great authors and other figures who are seemingly all around us, like the air we breathe. Perfect for reading or browsing, for the general reader, for the beginning as well as the advanced student, the Bedside, Bathtub & Armchair Companions include plot summaries ( giveaways for the mystery writers!), biographical information, puzzles, posters, film stills, maps, web sites, international clubs and societies, and more. Stylish, lavishly illustrated, and imaginatively structured, the Bedside Companions currently include volumes on Agatha Christie (more than 400,000 copies sold in two editions), Sherlock Holmes, and Shakespeare. Continuum's Bedside Companions are written by journalists, velists, and academic authorities (who wear their learning lightly) representing a true hands-across-the-ocean approach to their subject with titles including: Frankenstein , Virginia Woolf and Bloomsbury , Dickens , Oscar Wilde , Dracula , and Jane Austen . Some of the volumes will include forewords by rewned figures associated with the respective subjects.
- Author BiographyPam McAllister is the editor of Reweaving the Web of Life: Feminism and Nonviolence ( One of the most important books you'll ever read. - Village Voice) and author of two books documenting the range of women's global resistance to oppression and creative use of nonviolent action: You Can't Kill the Spirit and This River of Courage. A resident of New York City, McAllister has been a featured speaker in North America and Europe.
- Author(s)Pam McAllister
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication21/05/2008
- SubjectBiography: Literary
- Series TitleBedside, Bathtub & Armchair Companions
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintContinuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Content NoteIllustrations, maps
- Weight358 g
- Width153 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.00Trending at AU $19.09
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.48
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.31
- AU $36.79Trending at AU $38.13
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.65
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.49
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.64
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.