All listings for this product
About this product
- Description<b><b>Introducing a new star of her generation, an electric debut story collection about mixed-race and African-American teenagers, women, and men struggling to find a place in their families and communities.</b></b> When Danielle Evans's short story Virgins was published in<i>The Paris Review</i>in late 2007, it anunced the arrival of a major new American short story writer. Written when she was only twenty-three, Evans's story of two black, blue-collar fifteen-year-old girls' flirtation with adulthood for one night was startling in its pitch-perfect examination of race, class, and the shifting terrain of adolescence. Now this debut short story collection delivers on the promise of that early story. In Harvest, a college student's unplanned pregnancy forces her to confront her own feelings of inadequacy in comparison to her white classmates. In Jellyfish, a father's misguided attempt to rescue a gift for his grown daughter from an apartment collapse magnifies all he doesn't kw about her. And in Snakes, the mixed-race daughter of intellectuals recounts the disastrous summer she spent with her white grandmother and cousin, a summer that has unforeseen repercussions in the present. Striking in their emotional immediacy, the stories in<i>Before You Suffocate Your Own Fool Self</i>are based in a world where inequality is reality but where the insecurities of adolescence and young adulthood, and the tensions within family and the community, are sometimes the biggest complicating forces in one's sense of identity and the choices one makes.
- Author Biography<i>Danielle Evans</i> is a graduate of Columbia University and the Iowa Writers' Workshop. Her stories have appeared in <i>The Paris Review</i>, <i>A Public Space</i>, and <i>The Best American Short Stories 2008</i>.
- Author(s)Danielle Evans
- PublisherRiverhead Books
- Date of Publication06/09/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRiverhead Books
- Weight204 g
- Width130 mm
- Height201 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $74.97Trending at AU $77.01
- AU $12.52Trending at AU $13.05
- AU $46.02Trending at AU $53.13
- AU $17.59Trending at AU $18.15
- AU $28.94Trending at AU $31.76
- AU $12.13Trending at AU $14.05
- AU $12.21Trending at AU $15.03
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.