All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA diverse and imaginative selection of works from the long tradition of devotional poetry in English Before the Door of God traces the development of devotional English-language poetry from its origins in ancient hymdy to its current twenty-first-century incarnations. The poems in this volume demonstrate t only that devotional poetry-poetry that speaks to the divine-remains in vigorous practice but also that the tradition reaches back to the very origins of poetry in English. Featuring the work of poets over a three-thousand-year period, Before the Door of God places the devotional lyric in its cultural, historical, and aesthetic contexts. The volume traces the various influences on this tradition and identifies features that persist in devotional lyric poetry across centuries, cultures, and stylistic differences. To scholars, literary professionals, and general readers who find delight in fine poetry, this anthology offers much to contemplate and discuss.
- Author BiographyJay Hopler is associate professor of English at the University of South Florida. Kimberly Johnson is professor of English at Brigham Young University.
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication05/01/2016
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note2 b/w illus.
- Weight681 g
- Width168 mm
- Height227 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Edited byJay Hopler,Kimberly Johnson
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Save on Textbooks
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $30.26Trending at AU $32.49
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.66
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $40.06
- AU $11.31Trending at AU $14.84
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.