All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.40
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.27
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.26
- AU $93.88Trending at AU $107.07
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $104.10
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.46
- AU $55.80Trending at AU $56.95
About this product
- DescriptionBeginning Hindi is a complete first-year language textbook designed to help learners acquire the language by actively using it in realistic situations. The book and its accompanying audio files on CD contain all that is needed to complete one full year of study, including clear explanations of language structures; useful, fun, and engaging activities; and an organizational format that makes it easy to chart student progress. Beginning Hindi parallels the authors' textbook Beginning Urdu and can be used side-by-side with it in classrooms that teach both languages in the same course. This is a fun, engaging, and well-tested approach to learning Hindi. FEATURES* Develops all four skills -- listening, speaking, reading, writing -- through a wide range of tasks and activities, including role-plays, games, and short conversations.* Alongside Beginning Urdu, can support parallel instruction of both Hindi and Urdu in a single classroom. * Includes 41 chapters in eight units, organized around functional themes such as home and family, everyday life, the marketplace, personal responsibilities, and travel.* Can be used as a first-year, class-based textbook, a tool for independent study, or a reference book.* Provides a review for each unit that includes review activities, tips for increasing fluency, and sets of questions to help personalize learning.* Introduces grammar in a straightforward and practical way that is integrated with practical uses.* Includes an English-Hindi and Hindi-English glossary* Contains an appendix of advanced grammar. * Includes common idiomatic expressions and proverbs in each unit. A list of Bollywood film songs to go with each unit is also included.
- Author BiographyJoshua Pien teaches Hindi and Urdu at the University of Pennsylvania. Previously he worked as a Hindi-Urdu language specialist at the National Foreign Language Center at the University of Maryland. He has also taught Hindi at the Defense Language Institute in Monterey, California, and the University of Wisconsin, Madison. Fauzia Farooqui teaches Hindi and Urdu at Princeton University. She has also taught Hindi/Urdu at various other institutions, including the University of Virginia, the Defense Language Institute, University of Michigan, University of Wisconsin, and the American Institute of Indian Studies in Lucknow, India.
- Author(s)Fauzia Farooqui,Joshua H. Pien
- PublisherGeorgetown University Press
- Date of Publication27/04/2014
- SubjectLanguage Learning (other than ELT)
- Place of PublicationWashington, DC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGeorgetown University Press
- Content Note121 color photos, 7 line drawings
- Weight1611 g
- Width216 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine31 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.