All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe problems and needs of rural substance abusers vary from those of abusers in urban areas. Accordingly, the means of treatment must ackwledge and address these differences. Despite this call for specialized care, theoretically grounded therapy has yet been made available to rural patients. Behavioral Therapy for Rural Substance Abusers, developed and piloted over three years by University of Kentucky faculty and staff and substance abuse counselors in rural eastern Kentucky, provides a model for effective treatment for this segment of the population. A two-phase outpatient treatment, this approach combines group and individual sessions in an environment that is both comfortable and useful for the client.The success of this method lies in its regional approach to therapy. Rather than using role-playing techniques to examine old behaviors, therapy is designed around storytelling activities. Rural patients respond more positively to such time-hored traditions and thus become active participants in their own treatment.This manual offers a clear and well-constructed guide through the strategies of Structured Behavioral Outpatient Rural Therapy (SBORT). Supplemented with illustrations, sample exercises, and case studies, Behavioral Therapy for Rural Substance Abusers is a vital tool in meeting the treatment needs of an otherwise igred rural population.
- Author BiographyCarl Leukefeld, professor at the University of Kentucky College of Medicine, Center on Drug and Alcohol Research, is a co-author of Reducing the Risks for Substance Abuse: A Lifespan Approach.Theodore Godlaski is assistant professor of psychiatry at the University of Kentucky Medical Center.James Clark is a professor in the College of Social Work at the University of Kentucky.Cynthia Brown is a research assistant at the Center on Drug and Alcohol Abuse.Lon Hays is professor and chair of the department of psychiatry at the University of Kentucky Medical Center.
- Author(s)Carl G. Leukefeld,Cynthia Brown,James Clark,Lon Hays,Theodore Godlaski
- PublisherThe University Press of Kentucky
- Date of Publication31/08/2000
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Place of PublicationLexington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University Press of Kentucky
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight590 g
- Width216 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine14 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.55
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $75.38
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $17.45Trending at AU $19.79
- AU $44.07Trending at AU $51.53
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.